Six arrested for Lankan team attack in Lahore
The brazen attack in 2009 on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore had left six players injured.
Lahore: Six terrorists belonging to the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have been arrested for their involvement in the brazen attack in 2009 on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore that left six players injured and six escorting policemen dead.
Lahore police chief Muhammad Aslam Tareen told the media on Tuesday that four of the arrested terrorists had mounted the March 3, 2009, assault on the Sri Lankan team. One of them, Amanullah alias Asadullah, masterminded the strike.
The Daily Times said the police have recovered suicide vests, rocket launchers, Kalashnikovs, hand-grenades and other weapons from them.
At least six Sri Lankan cricketers -- captain Mahela Jayawaredene, his deputy Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera, Tharanga Paranavitana and Chaminda Vaas -- were injured when the team bus came under heavy attack from gunmen en route to the Gaddafi Stadium for a Test match.
Six escorting policemen were killed in the attack that took place near the Liberty Market crossing.
Tareen said the arrests took place following the questioning of two suspects.
He said: "The terrorists wanted to kidnap the Sri Lankan team and then make a demand to the government for the release of their important leaders arrested by law enforcement agencies."
Four of the six terrorists arrested Tuesday had, in fact, taken part in the attack on the Sri Lankan team at Liberty Chowk, the official said.
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- The First Hillary Clinton-Donald Trump Presidential Debate
- US Presidential Debate: Bollywood Stars Share Their Opinions on Twitter
- After Google and Salesforce, Disney Now Wants to Buy Twitter
- Google Station, YouTube Go, Google Play for 2G Launched
- Google to Provide Public Wi-Fi Hotspots in Malls, Universities in India
- Happy Birthday! Google is Now an Adult