Slipshod India cuts a sorry figure in Olympic opening ceremony
India began with unmatched outfits, poor march and zero coordination.
Beijing: A slipshod Indian contingent cut a sorry figure in the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony with the female members of the team making it a veritable go-as-you-like with their contrasting outfits that made them look like complete misfits for the occasion.
With ace shooter Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore carrying the tri-colour, the contingent looked good from a distance but as they came closer things looked hardly impressive.
The male members of the team were dressed in off-white sherwanis but the tennis duo of Sania Mirza and Sunitha Rao were attired in black trousers and practice jackets. Not only did the two not follow the dress code, the contrast was even more jarring to the eyes when they walked with Delhi paddler Neha Aggarwal who chose a greenish saree for the occasion.
Most of the Indian competitors also did not march smartly, Rathore, tennis ace Leander Paes and shooter Gagan Narang being the exceptions.
Though, the generous crowd at the Bird's Nest stadium roared to greet the Indians, it was a shoddy fashion statement by the team.
However, the moment the team entered the stadium Congress President Sonia Gandhi got on to her feet and waved at them and the athletes also reciprocated.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology