Snowstorm brings New York City to a halt
The New York area's three major airports saw more than 1,000 flights canceled.
New York: The snow total in New York City stands at 19.0 inches. The 12.3 inches that fell alone on Wednesday broke the day's long-standing snowfall record of 9 inches from 1871.
In New York's Central Park, 15.3 inches had fallen as of 1.00 am on Thursday
"It's hard because you've got mixed water, ice and snow right now," said Miguel Williams, shoveling snow on Manhattan's 10th Avenue for a company that contracts with businesses to clear the sidewalks. It's so hard, he said, that snow blowers are breaking down under the weight of the wet, heavy snow.
The storm started on Wednesday with icy mix but overnight gave a wallop of heavy blowing snow in many places stranding thousands of airplane passengers.The New York area's three major airports, among the nation's busiest, saw more than 1,000 flights canceled.
New York's Long Island Rail Road, a commuter rail line that is nation's largest, was operating on a reduced schedule.
Motorists were warned of dangerous road conditions. Parking meters and alternate side parking rules were also suspended on Thursday by the Department of Transportation due to the snow conditions.
Even the Statue of Liberty is closed for snow removal.
All public schools and most private schools are closed as the city digs out from more than 15 inches of snow. It was the ninth time since 1978 that schools have been closed for snow, city officials said.
This January is also now New York City's second all-time snowiest month, falling short to February 2010 and its 36.9 inches.
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- MS Dhoni Biopic Not Banned, Says Pakistan's CBFC Chief
- Bhubaneswar-Bhadark Train Collides With Goods Train in Cuttack, 1 Dead
- Sharif Chairs Cabinet Meet Day After Indian Strike on Terror Camps Across LoC
- US Asks Pakistan to Take Action Against Terrorist Outfits
- Indian Army's Surgical Strike Across LoC Was Carefully Measured: Experts
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army