Somdev crashes out of Chennai Open
Somdev Devvarman crashed out in the opening round losing to Belgian qualifier David Goffin.
Chennai: The Indian challenge in the singles event at the Aircel Chennai Open ended on Tuesday as country's No. 1 singles player Somdev Devvarman crashed out in the opening round losing to Belgian qualifier David Goffin in straight sets.
Goffin, playing his first ever ATP Tour match thrashed 6-2, 6-4 to win in only 86 minutes to take on last year's runner-up Stanislaus Wawrinka (third seed) in the second round. Wawrinka tamed Somdev's fellow Davis Cupper Rohan Bopanna 6-4, 6-4 in another straight-set victory.
The other Indian wild card entrant in singles Yuki Bhambri also crashed out losing his opening round losing 2-6 1-6 to Russia's Alexandre Kudryatsev, making it a disappointing day for the home crowd.
In late night singles matches, eighth seeded Robin Haase of the Netherlands came from behind to get the better of Frank
Dancevic 6-7 (6) 6-4 6-4, while Colombia's Alejandro Falla defeated Portugal's Rui Machado 7-5 6-3.
The day's focus was on the centre court where 25-year-old Devvarman, making his third straight tournament appearance, was not given any room by the unknown Belgian in the first set.
Recommended For You
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class Extended Wheelbase Launched at Rs 56.15 Lakh
- Nokia 6, Nokia 5 Price and Specifications in Pictures
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Salman Khan's Rumoured Girlfriend Iulia Vantur Sings His Songs at an Event
- Ryan Gosling's Reaction To Oscars 2017 Best Picture Mix Up Is Priceless