DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Somdev loses to Lopez in Houston
Somdev registered a solid opening round victory over American Robert Kendrick.
Houston: India's Somdev Devvarman failed to reach the quarterfinal of the US Men's Clay Court Championship after losing to third-seeded Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain 4-6 1-6.
Having had a good run in the hardcourt events at Indian Wells and Miami, Somdev registered a solid opening round victory over American Robert Kendrick but the clay-court specialist Garcia-Lopez proved too strong for him.
The third-seeded and world number 26 Garcia-Lopez, who got a bye in his first round of the USD 442,500 ATP event, overcame five double-faults before getting the better of the Indian in one hour and 27 minutes and book a berth in the last eight stage.
The Spaniard started on a positive note, breaking Somdev's serve in the fourth game to lead the first set 4-1.
Somdev, though broke back immediately but eventually lost control in the tenth game and lost the set 4-6.
The second set turned out to be simply a lop-sided affair as Garcia-Lopez stole a series of games to complete set up the quarterfinal clash against Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay.
Recommended For You
- Sonu Nigam Quits Twitter After Singer Abhijeet's Account Is Suspended
- Lionel Messi's Prison Sentence Upheld By Spanish Supreme Court
- Snapchat 'Custom Stories' Feature Looks Promising For Group Outings
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Remembering Roger Moore: 7 Of His James Bond Performances