Soon, Bihar prisoners to get multi-purpose smart card
The smart card will enable the inmates to buy daily use items like soap, shaving kit and food items like bread, tea and biscuits from the jail canteen.
Patna: Bihar will issue a multi-purpose smart card - a first of its kind in the country - to more than 33,000 prisoners in its 56 jails, an official said on Friday.
Inspector General (Prisons) Anand Kishore said that Bihar would be the first state to issue such smart cards to its prisoners. These would enable them to access services ranging from buying snacks, to access information about court cases, wages and health services.
"The smart card is going to change prisoners' life inside the prisons. It will enable them to buy daily use items like soap, shaving kit... and food items like bread, tea and biscuits from the jail canteen," Kishore said.
The smart card, christened e-Prison, Bihar, could also be used as a health card for prisoners, he added.
Kishore said that information kiosks would be set up in all the jails to facilitate the users.
The prisoners will have the option to recharge their cards from their wages earned in jail.
"We hope to provide these cards to prisoners by the end of February. The prison and correctional service inspectorate will implement the smart card project," he said.
The Bihar State Electronics Development Corporation is developing the software for the project.
"The smart card will have an embedded electronic chip with identification details like photo and fingerprints of the prisoner. Biometric authentication will be required to use it, therefore, prisoners will have to be present physically," an official said.
Bihar has eight central jails, 31 district jails and 17 sub-jails with capacity to house a total of 33,119 prisoners.
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: Sreejesh Simmers Down Before Indo-Pak Clash
- For Dialogue, Pakistan Must Stop Infiltration on Border: Mehbooba Mufti
- Pakistan Violates Ceasefire in Kathua District, 1 BSF Jawan Injured
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 1 in Abu Dhabi