South Africa skipper Austin Smith signs for HIL auction
The 27-year-old Smith has 103 international caps and has been part of South African teams that competed in the Olympic Games in 2008 and 2012.
New Delhi: South Africa's skipper Austin Smith will be available for the Hockey India League (HIL) players' auction among others, said the organisers on Friday.
The 27-year-old Smith has 103 international caps and has been part of South African teams that competed in the Olympic Games in 2008 and 2012. Drag-flicker Justin Reid Ross (63 goals in 91 games), Lloyd Norris Jones (46 goals in 90 matches) and Thornton McDade (27 goals in 94 games) are among the other big draws.
Centre-half Lloyd Madsen (70 caps), defender Rhett Halkett (64 caps) and Erasmus Pieterse, who has kept the goal in 60 matches, along with defender Clinton Panther (34 caps) are also among the other players from South Africa who have signed for the auction.
These players will join others in the inaugural edition of the HIL which starts Jan 5. The six-franchise-based event, featuring 33 matches, is scheduled to climax on Feb 3.
Recommended For You
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class Extended Wheelbase Launched at Rs 56.15 Lakh
- Nokia 6, Nokia 5 Price and Specifications in Pictures
- Ranveer Singh Is Exactly Who He is Dressing As, Says His Stylist
- Virat Kohli and Boys Go Trekking To Unwind After Pune Debacle
- Watch: How VJ Bani Debunks Stereotypes With Her Heavy Weight Training