South Africa: Smuggler swallows 220 diamonds
Police said the diamonds, which the man was trying to smuggle out of the country to Dubai, were worth $2.3 million.
Johannesburg: Police in South Africa say they've arrested a 25-year-old man who swallowed 220 polished diamonds in an attempt to smuggle them out of the country. Caption Paul Ramaloko of the South African Police Service said investigators arrested the man on Tuesday night as he waited in line at security at OR Tambo International Airport just outside of Johannesburg.
Ramaloko said a scan of the man's body showed the diamonds, which later were recovered. He said the man had been on his way to Dubai. Ramaloko said the diamonds are worth about $2.3 million.
Authorities believe the man belongs to a smuggling ring, as another man was arrested in March attempting the same thing. South Africa is one of the world's top diamond producers.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- Vijay Hazare Trophy: MS Dhoni Scores 43 But Jharkhand Loses to Karnataka
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category