Spain beat Ukraine 3-0 in Davis Cup playoff
Rafael Nadal and Marc Lopez sealed victory for Spain, beating Sergiy Stakhovsky and Denys Molchanov in the doubles for an unassailable 3-0 lead.
Madrid: Rafael Nadal and Marc Lopez sealed victory for Spain in their Davis Cup World Group playoff against Ukraine on Saturday, beating Sergiy Stakhovsky and Denys Molchanov in the doubles for an unassailable 3-0 lead.
The Spaniards won 6-2, 6 (6)-7, 6-3, 6-4.
After Nadal and Fernando Verdasco both won their singles rubbers on Friday, captain Alex Corretja paired the world No. 2 with Lopez to try and prevent the tie from going to reverse singles on Sunday.
Nadal, who won his 13th Grand Slam at the U.S. Open on Monday, still looked fresh despite the travel and playing two straight days.
Nadal and Lopez broke the Ukrainian duo's first two service games to set the tone as they extended five-time champion Spain's unbeaten run on clay to 27 consecutive series.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Mitchell Starc Ends Association With Virat Kohli and Co.
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Running Shaadi Review: It's Weighed Down by Choppy Editing, Inconsistent Screenplay
- Jaguar XE, XF and F-Pace Owners Can Soon Pay for Fuel Through Their Infotainment System
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)