Spain qualify for Hockey World Cup after Germany's Euro triumph
Spain became the ninth team to qualify for the 2014 men's World Cup by virtue of their fifth-place finish in the World League semis in Rotterdam.
The International Hockey Federation (FIH) on Sunday confirmed Spain to be the latest team booking its ticket to the 2014 men's Rabobank Hockey World Cup following Germany's victory in the final of the TriFinance EuroHockey Nations Championships in Boom, Belgium.
Germany had already qualified for the World Cup by virtue of finishing first at the Hockey World League semi-final in Johor Bahru, Malaysia; and by becoming the European champions, who are assured of a World Cup spot, they created an additional World Cup vacancy.
As per FIH rules, the highest-ranked fifth-place finisher from the two Hockey World League semi-finals in Rotterdam and Johor Bahru was to fill the spot created by Germany. Spain and Malaysia finished fifth at Rotterdam and Johor Bahru respectively, but Spain's world ranking of 6 fetched them the World Cup ticket ahead of Malaysia, who are ranked 13th.
On Sunday, Germany won their eighth European trophy beating hosts Belgium 3-1 in the final.
Recommended For You
- Engineer Questions Nature of Pune Pitch, Slams Batsmen
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Steve O'Keefe Hailed As 'Superhero' by Australian Media