Sports ministry backs sexually-harassed shooter
Stringent action will be taken against anyone found guilty of sexual harassment, in the wake of a lady shooter alleging that her team members harassed her recently, the sports ministry reiterated Sunday.
New Delhi: Stringent action will be taken against anyone found guilty of sexual harassment, in the wake of a lady shooter alleging that her team members harassed her recently, the sports ministry reiterated Sunday.
A lady shooter, selected to participate for a trap event in the international junior shooting competition at Suhl, Germany earlier this month, had complained to the sports ministry June 10 accusing two of her team members of making sexual and derogatory comments.
"The ministry of youth affairs and sports remains committed to ensuring that sports in India remains free of any form of sexual harassment and reiterates that stringent action shall be taken against anyone who is found to be guilty of such practices which are abhorrent to the spirit of sports," said a ministry statement.
The sports ministry had asked the director general of Sports Authority of India (SAI) Jiji Thomson the same day to get an immediate report from the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) and to initiate firm disciplinary action against the two shooters if the complaint was found to be true.
Thomson had referred the matter to NRAI June 11. The NRAI then referred the complaint to chairman of the six-member athletes committee Moraad Ali Khan and asked for a report on the matter within 15 days. The NRAI report is still awaited.
Pending the receipt of the committee's report, the two accused have been suspended by NRAI for one competition in view of the team manager's report that they had violated the instructions of the manager regarding the team's conduct during the event.
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Two Suspected JeM Terrorists Arrested in Baramulla District of J&K
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- BSF Kills 7 Pak Rangers, Terrorist in Retaliatory Firing Along Jammu Border
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18