Sports Ministry derecognises Athletics Federation of India: sources
The Sports Ministry on Monday derecognised the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) as per reports.
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Monday derecognised the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) as per reports after it had derecognised the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) and the Archery Association of India (AAI) for manipulation in their election process on Friday.
Earlier, the International Boxing Association (AIBA) provisionally suspended IABF for manipulation of its election, a move that came just two days after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) had suspended the IOA.
The IOC took the decision saying that the government's interference in the IOA election violated the Olympic charter. The decision, taken at the IOC's executive board meeting in Lausanne, had cut India off from IOC grants and bars it from the Olympics and Asian Games.
Adille Sumariwalla, working president of the Indian Athletic Federation, speaking to CNN-IBN said that," There is no reason for the govt. to derecognise Athletic Federation. We have implemented age tenures and the elections are held under sports code."
More to follow...
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18