Sports Ministry derecognises Athletics Federation of India: sources
The Sports Ministry on Monday derecognised the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) as per reports.
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry on Monday derecognised the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) as per reports after it had derecognised the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) and the Archery Association of India (AAI) for manipulation in their election process on Friday.
Earlier, the International Boxing Association (AIBA) provisionally suspended IABF for manipulation of its election, a move that came just two days after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) had suspended the IOA.
The IOC took the decision saying that the government's interference in the IOA election violated the Olympic charter. The decision, taken at the IOC's executive board meeting in Lausanne, had cut India off from IOC grants and bars it from the Olympics and Asian Games.
Adille Sumariwalla, working president of the Indian Athletic Federation, speaking to CNN-IBN said that," There is no reason for the govt. to derecognise Athletic Federation. We have implemented age tenures and the elections are held under sports code."
More to follow...
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever