Sports Ministry of India derecognises IABF and AAI
The Sports Ministry has derecognised the boxing and archery associations for violating the Sports Code of India.
New Delhi: The union ministry of sports Friday derecognised the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) and the Archery Association of India (AAI) for manipulation in their election process. Justifying the decision, Sports Minister Jitendra Singh said AAI violated the Sports Code of India while the election process of the boxing body was faulty.
The AAI election was held in November when Vijay Kumar Malhotra was elected its president for a tenth consecutive term, spanning a period of 40 years. IABF polls took place in September when Abhishek Matoria replaced Abhay Singh Chautala at the helm.
Asked why the government waited this long to take acton, sports secretary P.K. Deb said: "We were waiting for the result of the India Olympic Association (IOA) election. It is just a coincidence that we have come with the decision at this time."
Earlier in the day, the International Boxing Association (AIBA) provisionally suspended IABF for manipulation of its election, a move that comes just two days after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) suspended the IOA.
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Had Opposed MNS's Rs 5 Crore Demand in Meeting: Fadnavis
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps