Sreedharan not to head Kochi Metro
Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy had also expressed his interest in roping in experts like Sreedharan for the Metro project.
New Delhi: Delhi Metro chief E Sreedharan, who demits office on December 31, will not head the proposed Kochi Metro Rail project, contrary to speculation in his home state of Kerala that he has been chosen for the job.
The Congress Government in Kerala has been very keen on using the services of Sreedharan, who revolutionised the way Delhi travels through Metro, for building a similar new agetransport system in Kochi.
"No, no," Sreedharan said when asked whether he will be heading Kochi Metro, the approval for which is likely to be given by the Union Cabinet soon.
"Kochi Metro will be handled by the Delhi Metro. If I am here, yes, I will be involved. If I am not here I don't get involved," he told PTI here.
The comments by 79-year-old 'Metro Man' puts at rest all speculation about his heading the project which envisages constructing a nearly 20-km Metro network.
Speculation was rife for the past few months that Sreedharan would head the Kochi Metro after he steps down as the Managing Director of Delhi Metro on December 31, 2011.
Chief Minister Oomen Chandy had also expressed his interest in roping in experts like Sreedharan for the Metro project.
However, Sreedharan gave ample indications that he was not going to take up any offer after his tenure comes to an end.
He said he was eager to go back to his village in Thrissur district and spend his post-retirement days there with his family.
Sreedharan joined Indian Railways in 1953 and headed the Konkan Railway project after his retirement and finally he was made the Managing Director of the DMRC in 1995.
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma Explain Why Working With Karan Johar is Special
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Akhilesh Targeted By Stepmother, Black Magic Used: SP MLC
- Akhilesh Yadav Is The Undisputed Leader Of The Party In The State, Says SP Leader Madhukar Jetley
- Should Akhilesh Break Away From Samajwadi Party?
- News360: Akhilesh Defies Mulayam, To Skip SP Silver Jubilee