Sri Lanka opposition moots all party parley to face UN
The opposition leader added that Rajapaksa administration's bungling had led to the situation of international resolutions against the country.
Colombo: Sri Lankan opposition parties on Monday called for the formation of an all party committee to prevent an anti-Lanka resolution being passed at the UN human rights body. "We have to think of ways to escape this (resolution). We will tell the government to call an all party meeting and give a time frame to implement the LLRC recommendations," Ranil Wickremesinghe, the main opposition leader told reporters.
Wickremesinghe said the action plan to implement the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) must be announced before May 31. "We must have a mechanism to do that. The government alone cannot do that", he said.
The opposition leader added that Rajapaksa administration's bungling had led to the situation of international resolutions against the country. The ongoing UNHRC session in Geneva is expected to adopt its second resolution on Sri Lanka in as many years later this week, where the country's accountability and reconciliation progress would come under further scrutiny when US moves a resolution.
US adopted a similar resolution last year with India's support which bound Sri Lanka to make rapid progress on reconciliation with the Tamils. Contesting reported deaths of 40,000 civilians during the war with the LTTE as unverified, Sri Lanka has said it was in the process of ground verification of facts in the former battle zones to ascertain the real numbers.
- Honest Officers Being Removed Systematically: Kejriwal
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution
- Irom Sharmila Meets Kejriwal, Seeks Advice on Fighting Manipur Polls
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time