Sri Lanka: Prison riot leaves 27 dead, 42 injured
The riot started after authorities launched a search for drugs within the prison, and the inmates turned against the operatives of the police's STF.
Colombo: A major riot at a prison in Sri Lanka's capital killed at least 27 inmates and injured 42 others, while police said on Saturday that they have arrested seven prisoners who had managed to escape.
The riot started after authorities launched a search for drugs within the prison, and the inmates turned against the operatives of the police's Special Task Force (STF). Prisons Minister Chandrasiri Gajadeera in a statement said that a three-member probe committee would examine the events which led to the riot.
Over 50 people, including troops were injured in the clash. The situation was brought under control today after the deployment of the Army's Commando troops, officials said.
Some seven inmates who had fled the jail during the riot have been apprehended, the police said. A similar search operation in the same prison in 2010 also ended in a riot which seriously injured nearly 50 policemen.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- 'Indecision' Review System: India Get 17 Out of 55 Calls Right