Sri Lanka to deport British tourist over Buddha tattoo
The woman tourist, who has been detained, had arrived at the Colombo international airport from Mumbai on Monday mo
Colombo: A 35-year-old British woman faces deportation for sporting a Buddha tattoo in Buddhist-majority Sri Lanka, where disrespect of the religion by foreigners is frowned upon.
The woman tourist, who has been detained, had arrived at the Colombo international airport from Mumbai on Monday morning.
"She was produced before the magistrate at Negombo who ordered her to be detained at the immigration detention centre before deportation," a police statement said.
The tourist had an image of the Buddha seated on a lotus flower tattooed on her right arm, it said. It was not immediately clear where the woman, who was not identified, would be deported to.
Sri Lanka is a Buddhist-majority island and the authorities remain sensitive to any disrespect of the religion by foreigners.
In 2013, another British tourist was deported for a similar incident. In 2012, at least three French tourists were handed suspended jail sentences for "inappropriate" behaviour in front of a Buddha statue.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310: This is How The Remodeled Unit Will Look Like
- AB de Villiers Breaks Sourav Ganguly's Record
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- Fitness Freak Jacqueline Fernandez Loves Trying Different Workout Routines
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology