J&K: 3 arrested over religious leader's killing
Moulvi Showkat Ahmad Shah was killed last week in an improvised explosive device (IED) blast.
Srinagar: Three people have been arrested for the killing of a prominent religious leader Maulana Shaukat Ahmad Shah, who was killed last week.
Prominent religious figure and Jamiat-e-Ahli Hadees chief Moulvi Showkat Ahmad Shah was killed last week in an improvised explosive device (IED) blast outside a mosque in Maisuma area of the city, police officials said.
Shah, who was critically injured in the explosion which took place around 12.30 PM, was rushed to a city hospital where he succumbed to injuries, they said.
Several attempts were made on the life of Shah in the past.
Shah was also actively involved in separatist politics and was very close to JKLF chief Mohammad Yasin Malik.
Last week's blast was the first IED explosion in Srinagar city in the last two years.
The last IED explosion took place in September 2009 when militants triggered a car bomb to blow up a police vehicle, leaving three persons dead and 18 others injured.
Recommended For You
- I Always Wanted to Bat Like Virender Sehwag, Says Sunil Gavaskar
- KTM Duke Launch Live: 2017 Duke 390, Duke 200 and a Possible Duke 250
- Would Choose Margarita With a Straw Over Any Big Budget Film: Sayani Gupta
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- Coldplay- Chainsmokers Collaboration is Here and We Expected Something Just Like This