Srinagar-Leh Highway may partially open on April 5
The 434-km highway, the only road link between Kashmir and Ladakh region, remains closed from late November due to heavy snowfall.
Srinagar: The arterial Srinagar-Leh National Highway will be thrown open for light motor vehicles on April 5 if the weather conditions remain conducive, an official spokesman said on Tuesday.
The 434-km highway, the only road link between Kashmir and Ladakh region, remains closed from late November due to heavy snowfall in the area which blocks the road. Minister of State for Science and IT Feroz Ahmad Khan on Monday visited Captain Mode on the highway, 100 kms from here, to take stock of the operation to clear the road, the spokesman said.
He said the Minister was informed by officials of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) that if weather conditions remains conducive, the road will thrown open for movement of light motor vehicles from Friday.
The Minister appreciated the efforts of BRO authorities, the administration of Ganderbal district and traffic officials for expediting the operation to clear snow and landslides from the highway.
Khan also spoke with tourists at Sonamarg and enquired about the facilities being provided to them.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India