Srinagar: 1 killed, 6 injured as protest turns violent
Trouble began after Friday prayers when hundreds of young men gathered.
New Delhi: Violence erupted in Srinagar on Friday as security forces clashed with demonstrators.
One person was killed and 30 others, including six policemen were injured.
Trouble began after Friday prayers when hundreds of young men gathered near Nowhatta chowk to demand the release of Hurriyat leaders who were arrested at the height of the Amarnath land row.
They also shouted separatist slogans. Security forces deployed in the area resorted to lathi-charge and bursting teargas shells. Security forces later fired into the air to disperse the mob.
Four protesters with bullet wounds were rushed to a nearby hospital.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone