Stampede at Army recruitment drive in UP
One person is reported to have died while many others have been injured.
Lucknow: At least one person was killed and several others sustained injury in a stampede after Military Police fired in the air to disperse a mob in the Army Recruitment Drive in Chandauli on Sunday.
However, unofficial sources put the death toll at five but the officials were yet to confirm about the deaths.
Railway services on the busy Gaya-Mugalsarai route has been distrupted due to the agitating of the youths who burnt down a railway cabin and ransacked the Chandauli station. Several long distance trains were stranded at different stations due to the unrest.
According to the police sources, the incident happened when large number of youths mostly from the nearby districts and Bihar started agitating, alleging irregularities during the physical test in the recruitment drive at Mahendre Polytechnic ground.
The youths resorted to heavy brick batting following which Military Police fired in the air to disperse the mob. Due to the firing, a stampede-like situation occurred when more than 10,000 youths, assembled for the physical test, went haywire.
Sources said four injured youths were rushed to the Chandauli Government Hospital.
Recommended For You
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Shahid Kapoor's Pre-Birthday Bash: Deepika, Alia, Katrina steal the show
- IPL 2017: Hyderabad Pacer Siraj Says "Want to Take Virat Kohli's Wicket"