Stanford Classic awaits Wimbledon champ Serena
Belgium's Yanina Wickmayer laboured past Kai-Chen Chang 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 in the first round on Monday.
Stanford: Belgium's Yanina Wickmayer laboured past Kai-Chen Chang 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 in the first round of the Stanford Classic on Monday but all eyes will be on Wimbledon champion Serena Williams who begins her title defence on Wednesday.
Fifth seed Wickmayer, ranked 37 in the world, had to work really hard to remain on course for her first WTA title of the year. Her struggle was almost identical to her three-set defeat against Tamira Paszek of Austria in the third round of Wimbledon last month.
South African Chanelle Scheepers joined her in the second round after a 6-4, 6-4 win over American Grace Min.
For the sixth seed, it was her first victory since she was bounced from the opening round of the Wimbledon.
The hard-court tournament's main attraction is Williams who won her 14th singles Grand Slam title at Wimbledon on Saturday.
Williams will open against the winner of 19-year-old US player Nicole Gibbs and Thailand's Noppawan Lertcheewakarn.
Other opening-round winners at the Stanford Classic included Michelle Larcher De Brito and Heather Watson.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Dangal Ahead of Others in Best Film Category
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology