Stanford Classic awaits Wimbledon champ Serena
Belgium's Yanina Wickmayer laboured past Kai-Chen Chang 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 in the first round on Monday.
Stanford: Belgium's Yanina Wickmayer laboured past Kai-Chen Chang 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 in the first round of the Stanford Classic on Monday but all eyes will be on Wimbledon champion Serena Williams who begins her title defence on Wednesday.
Fifth seed Wickmayer, ranked 37 in the world, had to work really hard to remain on course for her first WTA title of the year. Her struggle was almost identical to her three-set defeat against Tamira Paszek of Austria in the third round of Wimbledon last month.
South African Chanelle Scheepers joined her in the second round after a 6-4, 6-4 win over American Grace Min.
For the sixth seed, it was her first victory since she was bounced from the opening round of the Wimbledon.
The hard-court tournament's main attraction is Williams who won her 14th singles Grand Slam title at Wimbledon on Saturday.
Williams will open against the winner of 19-year-old US player Nicole Gibbs and Thailand's Noppawan Lertcheewakarn.
Other opening-round winners at the Stanford Classic included Michelle Larcher De Brito and Heather Watson.
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- New Zealand PM Arrives, Modi Likely to Seek Support on NSG Entry During Meet Tomorrow
- PM Modi Warns of Action Against Those Who 'Snatch' Tribal Rights
- Celebrities Send Diwali Greetings To Jawans Following PM Modi's #Sandesh2Soldiers Campaign
- Salman Khan's Bodyguard Shera Faces Assault Charges in Mumbai
- Bomb Blast, Tribal Protests Keep Manipur CM Ibobi From Inaugurating Hospital
- Salman Khan's Recent Photo With Nephew Ahil is Just Too Heart-warming
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan