Step up security at Buddhist shrines: Centre
The Home Ministry has asked the states to provide adequate security to Buddhist places of worship in the wake of the blasts.
New Delhi: The central government has asked the states to heighten security at Buddhist places of worship and Tibetan settlements in view of the serial blasts at Mahabodhi temple in Bihar's Bodh Gaya, officials said on Sunday.
Official sources said that the home ministry had sent an advisory to states that adequate security must be provided to Buddhist places of worships and Tibetian settlements in the wake of blasts at the temple and violence between Rohingya Muslims and Buddhists in Myanmar.
They said the advisory has asked the states to bolster intelligence and personnel strength at police stations whose domain includes Buddhist population and shrines. The sources said that the advisory lays emphasis on security measures in cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Pune and Bangalore.
Nine near-coordinated explosions shook the serenity of the world-renowned Mahabodhi temple complex in Bihar's Bodh Gaya early Sunday, injuring two monks but not causing much damage. Officials said the Bihar government had been given intelligence inputs about the possibility of terror attack on the Mahabodhi temple.
They said there were inputs of radical elements trying to attack the place which receives a large number of national and international tourists. The officials said that inputs were being sent to the state on a regular basis and one such input had been given less than a month back.
The officials said a security review meeting was held in Bodh Gaya on July 2 between the monastry and police but it was not yet clear if security measures suggested had been implemented.
- MNS Defiant Despite Rajnath's Assurance to Bollywood: Time to Arrest Raj Thackeray?
- Film Industry Divided? No Way, Says Salim Khan
- Karan Johar Will Never do Anything That Isn't Patriotic: Farah Khan
- I am an Allahabadi Goonda, Katju Tells Raj Thackeray on Row Over Pak Artistes
- Donald Trump Digs in Heels, Says Will Accept Election Results if He Wins
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 3: Whose Side is Swami Om on? Sevaks or Maliks?
- Donald Trump is Vladimir Putin's Puppet: Hillary Clinton
- Hillary Clinton Beats Donald Trump in Final Presidential Debate