DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Stephens beats Puig to reach Wimbledon quarters
Stephens reached her second Grand Slam quarter-final of the year, beating 19-year-old Monica Puig 4-6, 7-5, 6-1.
London: Sloane Stephens of the US reached her second Grand Slam quarter-final of the year, beating 19-year-old Monica Puig of Puerto Rico 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 on Monday at Wimbledon.
The 17th-seeded Stephens is the last American singles player left at the grass-court tournament. She finished her 2-hour, 4-minute victory shortly after defending champion Serena Williams' 34-match winning streak ended with a three-set loss to Sabine Lisicki.
For the first time in 101 years, no men representing the U.S. even made it to Wimbledon's third round.
Stephens, who is 20, eliminated Williams in the quarterfinals at the Australian Open in January to reach her first career major semi-final.
Next for Stephens in her second appearance at Wimbledon is a match against No. 15 Marion Bartoli, the 2007 runner-up, or 104th-ranked Karin Knapp.
Recommended For You
- Sunny Deol Shares Son Karan Deol's Photo From His First Day at Shoot
- Batting At 4 Won't Affect CT Preparation: Rohit
- IPL 2017: Jos Buttler Does a Ranbir Kapoor to Celebrate Mumbai Indians Win
- Aaradhaya Steals the Thunder From Mom Aishwarya at Cannes 2017
- Opinion - Should I Buy a Petrol or a Diesel Car?