Suchitra Sen much better, but not out of danger
Suchitra Sen, 82, is undergoing treatment for a chest infection at the hospital since December 23.
Kolkata: The condition of iconic Bengali actress Suchitra Sen, who was put on non-invasive ventilator support after her condition deteriorated, is much better but she is not yet out of danger yet, a doctor said Monday.
She was put on the ventilator Jan 3.
At the moment her respiratory tract infection is under control though it still remains detrimental to her health, said Subrata Maitra, member of the team of seven experts monitoring Sen at the Belle Vue Clinic here.
"She is not out of danger yet but is in a much better condition," Maitra told IANS.
Her frequently fluctuating oxygen saturation is now at a "reasonable level" and her condition has "stabilised to some extent", said the latest medical bulletin from the hospital.
"She is needing intermittent non-invasive ventilation and chest physiotherapy. Her heart rate and blood pressure are satisfactory," the statement said.
According to her doctors, on Sunday, Sen was "partially responding" to intermittent non-invasive ventilation support, and and is on a course of antibiotics.
The 82-year-old actress was undergoing treatment for a chest infection at a nursing home since Dec 23 and was taken to the CCU after her condition worsened Dec 28 night.
One of the finest actresses of her time, she is known for her performances in films like "Deep Jwele Jaai" and "Uttar Falguni" in Bengali as well as Hindi movies such as "Devdas", "Bombai Ka Babu" and "Mamta".
Her work was appreciated offshore too - she won the best actress award for "Saat Paake Bandha" at the Moscow Film Festival in 1963.
The mother of actress Moon Moon Sen, Suchitra quit acting in 1978. Since her retirement, she meets only a few people, including her daughter as well as grand daughters Raima and Riya Sen.
However, in a rare exception, Sen Sunday allowed West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to meet her at the nursing home.
- BlackBerry To Stop Making Handsets, Will Outsource Production
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Arjun Kapoor, Shraddha Kapoor Bring 'Bollywood Dance Raita' to New York
- Ganesh Chaturthi 2016: Anil Kapoor to Shraddha Kapoor; Stars Bring Ganpati Home
- MS Dhoni Biopic May be the Biggest Risk of Sushant Singh Rajput's Career
- Everybody Deserves to Know Dhoni's Inspiring Story: Bhumika Chawla
- Sushant Singh Rajput Talks about Dhoni, Bollywood In His First Selfie Interview
- Sushant Singh Rajput's MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Won't Be Screened In Pakistan