Delhi gangrape: Police use water cannons on crowds
India Gate had heavy deployment of both CRPF & Delhi Police as protesters defied prohibitory orders imposed by the government.
New Delhi: Police resorted to water cannons to disperse crowds at India Gate for the second consecutive day as angry crowd of citizens protested in large numbers demanding justice for the 23-year-old paramedic student who was raped and beaten by half-a-dozen men in the national capital.
India Gate had heavy deployment of both CRPF & Delhi Police as the protesters defied prohibitory orders imposed by the government. The police asked the crowd, which was sitting in front of Amar Jawan Jyoti, to go to Jantar Mantar to hold protests.
The police also evacuated a number of protesters from Raisina Hill and outside Congress chief Sonia Gandhi's residence early Sunday morning where they had stayed put since chilly Saturday night.
Some protesters indulged in violence as they stopped East Delhi MP Sandeep Dikshit at India Gate, heckled him and damaged his car as well as a government jeep ferrying officials and clashed with the police while trying to march towards Raisina Hills, where Rashtrapati Bhavan and key government ministries are located.
Central Delhi faced huge traffic chaos due to a security clampdown on Rajpath even as protesters blocked roads near India Gate. Teargas shells were lobbed at the agitators near India Gate at around one PM as they tried to enter Rajpath to head towards Raisina Hills.
However, later they were allowed to proceed in a bid to ease traffic on the radial road. The protesters then tried to cross the barricades and clashed with the police who resorted to the use of water cannons at 1:15 pm.
(With Additional Inputs from PTI)
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Triple Talaq a Religious Issue, PM Has No Right to Intervene: AIMPLB's Jilani
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh
- News360: Can Patriarch MSY Solve Chacha-Bhatija Spat?
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China