Super 9s hockey: Superior England beat India 2-1
India fought well but not enough to beat England, who came from behind to win the match.
New Delhi: India fought well but went down to superior England 1-2 in the Lanco International Super Series hockey tournament in Australia on Thursday as they prepare to put the embarrassment of their Olympics campaign behind.
Gurvinder Singh Chandi put India ahead in the first half of the match but Dan Fox equalised before the half-time hooter as the teams went into their dug-out locked at 1-1. The second half witnessed end-to-end stuff, but David Condon's goal proved decisive as England bagged their first points of the tournament.
The Lanco International Super Series is the curtailed format of hockey, where teams comprised of 9 players each play two halves of 20 minutes.
India will play hosts Australia on Friday before locking horns against arch-rivals Pakistan on Saturday in their last round-robin match. Meanwhile, in the other round-robin match, Australia defeated Pakistan 4-2 at the Perth Hockey Stadium in Bentley.
Apart from hosts Australia, the other competing nations in the Champions Trophy are Olympic champions Germany, Australia, England, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Belgium, India and Pakistan.
Recommended For You
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Running Shaadi Review: It's Weighed Down by Choppy Editing, Inconsistent Screenplay
- Sledging Virat Kohli Will Hurt Us: David Warner
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Nominees For Best Singer (Male)
- India A vs Australia: Shreyas Iyer Slams 202* As Match Ends in Draw