Surprise check by bomb squad at Tihar Jail
Bomb disposal teams conducted a thorough check and sanitised the area before Anna's release.
New Delhi: Bomb disposal teams and dog squads conducted a surprise check outside Tihar Jail early on Thursday morning, soon after the Anna Hazare team announced that the Gandhian would move out of the prison to launch his anti-corruption protest at Ramlila Maidan.
The teams descended outside the jail, where Hazare supporters were camping to express solidarity with the 73-year-old Gandhian, at around 3:30 am and conducted a thorough check and sanitised the area.
The security personnels' action resulted in giving some anxious moments for scores of protesters assembled there as they were seen enquiring whether there was input about any suspicious object being planted there.
Sniffer dogs also conducted searches along with members of the bomb disposal squad.
As the area outside the jail was littered with heaps of plastic bags and food pouches, the security personnel were seen minutely checking each and every waste material to ensure that no suspicious object was hidden beneath.
When quizzed, a member of the bomb disposal squad said they were there on orders to ensure that no suspicious objects were planted in the area to create terror when Hazare comes out of the prison.
Hazare had refused to come out of jail after being released from detention yesterday demanding that he be allowed to continue with his protest in the capital without any conditions.
After a late night meeting with Delhi Police Commissioner B K Gupta, the Hazare team said the Gandhian decided to accept the city police's offer of permitting him to stage his protest for 14 days which could be extended later.
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- Trump Gains on Clinton, Poll Shows 'Rigged' Message Resonates
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial