Suryanelli gangrape case: HC grants bail to 31 accussed
The case relates to the rape of a 16-year-old girl of Suryanelli in Idukki District in 1996.
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Thursday granted bail to the 31 accused in the 1996 Suryanelli gangrape case. A Division Bench comprising Justices KT Shankaran and ML Joseph Francis allowed the bail pleas filed by the accused last month.
The lone convict in the case, Dharmarajan, who was absconding and was arrested recently from Sagar in Karnataka, is now in jail, to serve the rest of his life sentence. The court rejected the government counsel's argument that the accused should first surrender before the trial court before their plea could be taken up by High Court.
The Supreme Court had stayed the 2005 High Court judgement acquitting the accused three months ago. The case relates to the rape of a 16-year-old girl of Suryanelli in Idukki District in 1996. The victim, a school girl, was allegedly abducted and taken to various places and sexually exploited by different persons.
The victim had also sought a fresh probe against Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien, alleging that he was among those abused her. Kurien has rejected the charge.
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Prevail 3-2 in Pacy Encounter vs Pakistan
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Happy That Censor Board is Standing by Us to Release 31st October: Vir Das
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
- Dear Zindagi First Look: Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt Will Drive Your Midweek Blues Away