Swede Hanson claims Dutch Open victory
Peter Hanson secured his fifth career victory when he holed a monster putt at the last to finish with a round of 67 and a 14-under-par total.
Sweden's Peter Hanson claimed a dramatic victory at the Dutch Open on Sunday with an eagle on the 18th hole to overhaul Spain's Pablo Larrazabal.
Hanson, a member of the European team for this month's Ryder Cup, secured his fifth career victory when he holed a monster putt at the last to finish with a round of 67 and a 14-under-par total.
It was a happy end to a traumatic week for Hanson who nearly withdrew from the tournament at the Hilversumsche Golf Club when his one-year-old son needed hospital treatment after falling ill with a respiratory illness at home in Florida on Friday.
An emotional Hanson dedicated his victory to his young son, Tim, who turns 2 in November and was hospitalized on Friday with a severe respiratory problem. The Swede had been on the verge of withdrawing from the centenary event but doctors advised him that he would be better off remaining in the Netherlands.
"It has been an up and down week with my little son ill in hospital, so it just puts golf in to perspective. You also don't think straight when a family may be ill, as they are the most important thing," Hanson said. "I had been on the phone every hour to my wife, and she was the one convincing me to stay. But hopefully now when I get home to Orlando, Tim will be a little better and also out of hospital and back home.
"So in many ways this win is for Tim, and I am very much looking forward to seeing. But not getting too close at least until the virus has fully passed."
Larrazabal, one of four players who held the overnight lead, seemed to be closing in on victory when Hanson drove into trouble on the 16th.
However, Hanson rescued par in superb fashion and the momentum swung his way when Larrazabal bogeyed the 16th.
Larrazabal, who carded a closing 70, ended up in a tie for second spot with Briton Richie Ramsay who fired a 67.
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha
- Samajwadi Party Live: Akhilesh Sacks Shivpal, 3 Other Ministers From Cabinet; Says Party is One
- Akhilesh is Not Forming a New Party: Shivpal Yadav's Son
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation