Swiss bank says US tax case a 'major challenge'
Zurich-based Zuercher Kantonalbank is one of at least 11 Swiss banks under pressure from the US.
Geneva: A state-owned Swiss bank has described a US tax evasion probe as "major challenge" to it and Switzerland's entire banking industry. Zurich-based Zuercher Kantonalbank is one of at least 11 Swiss banks under pressure from the US to give up tax-evading American customers and the bankers who aided them.
ZKB said on Friday it never actively sought customers in the United States but did receive millions of dollars in deposits from American clients until 2008.
Last month, Switzerland's oldest bank, Wegelin & Co, announced it was selling most of its business after it was indicted in the US with conspiring to help American clients hide more than $1.2 billion from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Akhilesh Targeted By Stepmother, Black Magic Used: SP MLC
- Akhilesh Yadav Is The Undisputed Leader Of The Party In The State, Says SP Leader Madhukar Jetley