Swiss man who infected 16 people with HIV sent to jail
The man, who hasn't been identified because of Swiss privacy laws, denied the charges.
Geneva: A court in Switzerland has found a self-styled acupuncturist guilty of intentionally infecting 16 people with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. A regional court in the canton (state) of Bern said the man was sentenced Friday to 12 years and 9 months in prison.
Prosecutors had asked for a 15-year sentence for causing serious bodily harm and spreading human diseases. They accused him of using various pretexts to prick his victims with a needle and infect them with HIV between 2001 and 2005.
The man, who hasn't been identified because of Swiss privacy laws, denied the charges. Court spokesman Rene Graf says the verdict can be appealed.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- CBFC Refuses to Pass Lipstick Under My Burkha for Being 'Lady Oriented'
- 'Virat Kohli Calling Me to Bowl at India Nets Biggest Achievement'
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology