Taliban suicide bomber kills 4 in Afghanistan
The blast damaged several buildings nearby and flames could be seen shooting up an exterior wall.
Kabul: A suicide bomber blew up his car outside a compound frequented by foreigners in northern Afghanistan on Tuesday, killing four guards, as two other militants stormed the building and battled Afghan police.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the assault in Kunduz city, the latest in a rising number of attacks in northern Afghanistan.
The blast damaged several buildings nearby, and flames could be seen shooting up an exterior wall. Shattered glass and a severed leg lay on the ground, while other body parts had been collected and tied up in a blanket.
Four Afghan guards were killed and 10 other people, including an Afghan policeman, were wounded, said provincial spokesman Mubobullah Sayedi. Foreigners staying at the two-story complex escaped through the rear of the building, he said.
Sarwar Husseini, a provincial police spokesman, said the compound was used by two security companies, at least one of whom provides security for GIZ, a German development and assistance organization that contracts mostly with the German government.
Husseini said that the compound serves as both office and housing for the companies.
A GIZ spokesman said the building is used by a security company employed by GIZ called Kabora, but that they do not use it to house GIZ employees. Officials with Kabora could not immediately be reached for comment.
"GIZ was not the target," spokesman Hans Stehling said.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a text message to The Associated Press that the assailants had attacked a "German intelligence center and security company."
Ahmadullah, a 30-year-old shopkeeper who lives about 10 yards (meters) from the building said the bombing was "a very big explosion that shook all of Kunduz."
He said he and his family quickly ran out of the neighborhood to a relative's house nearby. Worried that they were still too close to the fighting, they moved even farther away to seek protection in another relative's house.
"All my children were so scared," he said. "We have never been so close to a suicide bombing."
While fighting primarily has been focused in southern and eastern Afghanistan, insurgents have been conducting a rising number of attacks in the once-peaceful north.
Late last month, a vehicle carrying the deputy governor of Kunduz province struck a roadside bomb, injuring three of his bodyguards. In June, a bombing at a bazaar in the province killed at least 10 people. Also in June, three policemen were killed when a suicide bomber blew himself outside a mosque and another bomber hit a German NATO convoy, killing three civilians.
In May, a suicide bomber infiltrated a high-level meeting in neighboring Takhar province and killed northern Afghanistan's top police commander, Gen. Mohammed Daoud, provincial police chief Shah Jehan Noori and two German soldiers. The German NATO commander in northern Afghanistan was wounded.
Late last year, a suicide bomber killed Kunduz Governor Mohammed Omar and 15 other people at a mosque in neighboring Takhar province.
Also Tuesday, a bomb attack in the east killed a NATO service member, the coalition said in a statement. The alliance did not provide any further details, or the service member's nationality.
Recommended For You
- Renshaw Criticised For Retiring Due to Stomach Bug
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Wayne Rooney Ends China Rumours, to Stay at Manchester United
- Nach Baliye 8: Judges to Contestants; Everything That You Need to Know About The Show