US backs Afghanistan in Taliban peace talks
Taliban had also demanded that the US free its officials held up in Guantanamo bay.
New Delhi: The United States has decided to back an Afghanistan government-led peace initiative with the Taliban only if it meets international standards.
The Taliban had agreed to begin peace talks with the Karzai government which has America's backing.
Karzai has also revealed plans of establishing a Taliban office in the gulf state, Qatar. Taliban had also demanded that the US free its officials held up in Guantanamo bay.
The US has rejected the demand, stating that no decision has been reached regarding freeing the prisoners to boost the reconciliation.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Heaviest Defeats for India at Home Since 1987
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology