Over 66 girls taken ill in Tamil Nadu after eating mid day meal
Officials said the distribution of food was stopped immediately after the girls vomitted and some of them fainted.
New Delhi: The mid day meal horror continues not just in Bihar, but other states too. At least 66 girl students have fallen ill after eating food served at a school in Neyveli, Tamil Nadu, under the mid day meal scheme.
The students of classes VII and VIII, fell sick after consuming eggs served in their meal at Neyveli Lignite Corporation-owned Girls' High School, school authorities said on condition of anonymity.
The students were rushed to the NLC Hospital, but are out of danger, Dr Sridharan, a Child Specialist at the hospital said. Officials said the distribution of food was stopped immediately after the girls vomitted and some of them fainted.
Meanwhile, eight students, including seven girls, of a Delhi Government-run school in North-West Delhi fell ill after allegedly being given folic acid and iron supplements under a newly launched government scheme.
The girls of the Sarvodaya Vidyalaya in Ashok Vihar area were rushed to Sundarlal Jain Hospital on Wednesday after they fell sick. They were discharged on Thursday morning. DCP North West P Karunakaran said the students complained that they fell ill after taking the tablets given in the school.
In Odisha, at least 12 students - aged between 7 and 15 years - fell sick after taking food at a government-aided hostel for poor students in Nilagiri area in Balasore district, officials said.
Several inmates of Bapuji Seva Sadan hostel at Mitrapur complained of nausea, vomiting and stomach pain after having dinner on the night of July 16, they said quoting a delayed report. The affected students were admitted to two hospitals and are stable.
In Maharashtra, at least 34 students, including 13 girls, of a tribal ashram school at a village in Dhule district fell ill after consuming contaminated water, police said. Water was supplied by a tanker to the Kasturabai adivasi ashram school at Tavkheda village and the students after drinking it started vomitting and complained of diarrhoea on the night of July 16. Some of the children, who were between 8 and 12 years were admitted to hospital.
The condition of all the students was stated to be improving.
With Additional Inputs From PTI
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Digvijay Favours Dialogue With Pakistan, Insists Artists to Work in Cross Border Films
- AASU Threatens to Foil BJP's Move to Extend Citizenship to Minority Communities From Pak, Bangladesh
- 2nd Test: West Indies Crumble After Misbah-ul-Haq's Near Miss
- Indo-Pak matches filled with emotions, Says Pakistan Hockey Coach Khawaja Junaid