Tamil Nadu: DMK leader Arumugam dead
Senior DMK leader and former Tamil Nadu minister Veerapandi S. Arumugam died on Friday after a brief illness.
Chennai: Senior DMK leader and former Tamil Nadu minister Veerapandi S. Arumugam died here on Friday after a brief illness. Arumugam, 75, was admitted to a hospital two days ago. His condition turned critical on Friday. The body is being taken to Salem.
Arumugam was elected to the Tamil Nadu assembly six times during a long political career that started in 1957. He was arrested on charges of land grabbing after the AIADMK took power in 2011. He was released about a month ago.
DMK president M. Karunanidhi paid homage to Arumugam. The party has announced a three-day mourning.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance