Tamil Nadu: Families fight over bride's ornaments
The bride's family had promised to give 50 sovereigns of jewels and Rs 2 lakh in cash.
Virudhunagar (TN): High drama prevailed at a marriage function Virudhunagar after the bridegroom's family allegedly objected to the bride wearing 'gilt' ornaments leading to fisticuffs between the two families and the ceremony being cancelled, police said on Thursday.
The bridegroom, who was injured, has been admitted to hospital, police said, adding that his mother, a BSNL employee, was arrested on Thursday on dowry charges.
The bride's family had promised to give 50 sovereigns of jewels and Rs 2 lakh in cash. However, the bridegroom's family got suspicious with the ornaments worn by the 25-year-old bride when she turned up at the local temple, venue of the ceremony, leading to a wordy duel between members of the two families.
They later exchanged blows and the 33-year-old groom, working as a manager in a private bank, suffered head injuries.
The bridegroom's mother had allegedly asked why the girl was wearing gilt jewels, and insisted on her wearing genuine ornaments, sources said.
A case has been registered against the bride's family for attacking and injuring the groom, sources added.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310: This is How The Remodeled Unit Will Look Like
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- AB de Villiers Breaks Sourav Ganguly's Record
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology