Tamil Nadu to upgrade barren lands for cultivation
According to Jayalalithaa, the farm inputs will also be provided at subsidised rates and a sum of Rs 7.20 crore will be given for this purpose.
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Monday said her government would upgrade 12,500 acre of barren land into cultivable farm land with adequate water facilities while announcing several schemes for ushering in a second green revolution in the state. "With food production to be affected owing to the reducing cultivable land, my government this year will upgrade 12,500 acres of barren land and to set up proper water facilities a subsidy of Rs.4,000/acre will be given," she told the assembly.
According to her, the farm inputs will also be provided at subsidised rates and a sum of Rs 7.20 crore will be given for this purpose. In order to use the available water in an efficient manner, Jayalalithaa said the state would procure and rent out rain guns and mobile sprinklers to farmers. The project involves an outlay of Rs 57 crore, she said.
In order to make Tamil Nadu self-sufficient in food grain production, three kinds of fast track plans will be drawn and a plan allocation of Rs 114.20 crore has been allocated for this purpose, she added. According to her, a scheme worth Rs 275 crore will be implemented through sugar mills to boost sugarcane production in 50,000 acres while adding the setting up of special purpose vehicle to provide raw materials to the farmers.
In order to mechanise the farm operations as farm labourers are migrating, Jayalalithaa said the government would provide farm equipment at subsidised rates at an outlay of Rs 125.70 crore.
She said that in order to increase the horticulture produce and to get the farmers get good price for their products 50 centres will be set up on "hub and spoke" model to provide the seeds/saplings and also to segregate the final produce. A special complex for tender coconuts and banana would be built in Coimbatore and in Tirunelveli districts, she added.
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Camp Sacks Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP