Punjab: Two constables arrested for abusing woman
The 22-year-old girl and her father were thrashed in full public view when they demanded action against some people who harassed her.
Tarn Taran: Two Punjab Police constables have been arrested for physically abusing a girl in Tarn Taran last week. The 22-year-old girl and her father were thrashed in full public view when they demanded action against some people who harassed her.
Head Constables Karaj Singh and Davinder Singh were on Monday arrested under Section 354, 323, 148 149, 506 of IPC and 3, 4 SC/ST Act for thrashing, molesting and making verbal personal attack on the girl, DIG (Border Range) Paramraj Umranangal said. However, the girl said that so far only two policemen were suspended and arrested "whereas there were total eight cops involved in the beating incident and all should be dismissed from services".
"The arrest of two policemen is not enough since I made demand for the arrest and dismissal of all the eight policemen. I would go on hunger strike from tomorrow (Tuesday) if my demands are not met," the girl said. She in her complaint had alleged that while she along with her father was coming home after attending a marriage function on March 7, a truck driver and his accomplices started to tease her besides passing vulgar comments. When she and her father approached the nearby police picket, both were beaten up by the policemen on duty, who allegedly let off the accused after accepting bribe, the girl had said in her complaint.
Taking a strong view of the beating up of the girl, the Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to Punjab government seeking its reply on the incident.
(With additional information from PTI)
- Border Villages in Punjab Back Army Action, Hail PM Modi
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- PM Narendra Modi to Review Border Situation in CCS Meet
- Post Surgical Strike, PM Modi to Chair Cabinet Committee on Security Meeting
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- US Now has Very Little Influence on Pakistanâs Nuclear Policy: Hoodbhoy
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes