Teen sets herself on fire after being raped, battles for life
Upset over the rape and police's alleged inaction, the girl attempted suicide on March 27.
Guna: A 16-year-old girl, who was allegedly raped by two youths on Tuesday, has set herself on fire in Bajrangarh village of the district.
The girl took the extreme step on Wednesday. She has suffered 90 per cent burns and is battling for life in the district hospital in Guna, police said on Friday.
The girl was allegedly raped by two youths, Sonu Seharia (23) and Sonu Sen (20), on March 26 and they asked her not to inform about the alleged offence to anybody. Later, her mother took her to Barkhedagird Police Station for filing a report, but the police did not take any action in the matter, the victim's family alleged.
Upset over the rape and police's alleged inaction, the girl attempted suicide on March 27. On Thursday, Guna Superintendent of Police (SP) KC Jain rushed to the village following which one of the accused was arrested by the police while the other one was nabbed on Friday.
Inspector General (IG), Gwalior Division, Adarsh Katiyar also visited the victim at the hospital on Friday and reviewed the progress made by police in the case.
Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition in Madhya Pradesh Assembly, Ajay Singh, on Friday said in a statement that the incident has exposed the state government's "shameless face" as incidents of rape and gang-rape continued unabated in the state.
- Karnataka Parties Against Release of Cauvery Water
- 8 Times Ranbir Kapoor Wowed us With His Radical Approach Towards Life
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Siddaramaiah Says Not Possible To Release Water Right Away
- India Jumps 16 Places in Global Competitiveness Index
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday
- Pakistan Can't Take India's Restraint Granted for Long: Wall Street Journal