Terror still a big concern: Manmohan Singh
Manmohan Singh said the recent serial blasts in Mumbai have come as a warning to the nation.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said the recent serial blasts in Mumbai have come as a warning to the nation that there cannot be any laxity in the vigil against terrorism.
"Last month's terrorist attacks in Mumbai warn us that there cannot be any slip-up in our vigilance as far as the fight against terrorism is concerned. This is a long battle to be fought jointly by the central government, state governments and the common man," Singh said in his Independence Day address.
25 people were killed in the serial blasts in Mumbai on July 13 at Dadar, Zaveri Bazar and Opera House areas.
Singh said the government has been steadily strengthening intelligence and security agencies and will continue to do so in future.
Soon after these serial blasts, Home Minister P Chidambaram had sought to draw a distinction between intelligence failure and lack of intelligence input and
maintained that it was a case where the latter was true.
Speaking from the ramparts of the Red Fort, the Prime Minister also expressed concern over the issue of Naxalism which he had earlier described as the biggest threat to internal security.
"We are also taking all possible steps to overcome the challenge of Naxalism. We want to eradicate the very reasons which give rise to this problem," Singh said.
He stated that a new scheme has been started for the accelerated development of 60 backward and tribal-dominated districts and an amount of Rs 3,300 crore will be spent on the scheme in a period of two years.
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Donald Trump's Campaign Says Raised $9 mn Through Live Facebook Event
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259
- Gaya Road Rage: Patna High Court Grants Bail to Suspended JD(U) Councillor's Son
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18