TN: Strike called by DMK-backed TESO underway
DMK-backed TESO had called for a general strike to press the government to vote in favour of a US-sponsored resolution against Lanka at the UNHRC.
Chennai: The dawn-to-dusk general strike called by DMK-backed pro-Sri Lankan Tamil outfit TESO began on Tuesday morning with no untoward incident reported so far.
Shops in some places were closed and a close watch was being maintained on the situation, police said. However, no untoward incident was reported, they said.
DMK-backed Tamil Ealam Supporters' Organisation had called for a general strike on Tuesday to press India to vote in favour of a US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) meeting in Geneva. DMK chief M Karunanidhi, who had revived TESO in 2012 floated by him in the 1980s, had called for peaceful protests.
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- The First Hillary Clinton-Donald Trump Presidential Debate
- US Presidential Debate: Bollywood Stars Share Their Opinions on Twitter
- Watch: Exclusive Interview With Former Pakistan Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani
- Pakistan Approaches International Court of Justice Over Indus Waters Treaty
- Will Pakistan Ever Accept Any Evidence Provided By India on Terror Propagated From Pak Soil?
- India Pulls Out of Saarc Meet, is Pakistan's Isolation Complete?