DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
TN: Strike called by DMK-backed TESO underway
DMK-backed TESO had called for a general strike to press the government to vote in favour of a US-sponsored resolution against Lanka at the UNHRC.
Chennai: The dawn-to-dusk general strike called by DMK-backed pro-Sri Lankan Tamil outfit TESO began on Tuesday morning with no untoward incident reported so far.
Shops in some places were closed and a close watch was being maintained on the situation, police said. However, no untoward incident was reported, they said.
DMK-backed Tamil Ealam Supporters' Organisation had called for a general strike on Tuesday to press India to vote in favour of a US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) meeting in Geneva. DMK chief M Karunanidhi, who had revived TESO in 2012 floated by him in the 1980s, had called for peaceful protests.
Recommended For You
- Champions Trophy 2017: Virat Kohli and Co Arrive in London
- New 2017 Maruti Suzuki Dzire First Drive Review: Does it Aspire to Amaze You?
- BCCI Unhappy With Anil Kumble? India Looks For New Coach
- On Kumble, Kohli Says BCCI Following Due Process By Inviting Fresh Applications
- It's Official: OnePlus 5 to Be India's First Phone With Qualcomm Snapdragon 835