TN: Strike called by DMK-backed TESO underway
DMK-backed TESO had called for a general strike to press the government to vote in favour of a US-sponsored resolution against Lanka at the UNHRC.
Chennai: The dawn-to-dusk general strike called by DMK-backed pro-Sri Lankan Tamil outfit TESO began on Tuesday morning with no untoward incident reported so far.
Shops in some places were closed and a close watch was being maintained on the situation, police said. However, no untoward incident was reported, they said.
DMK-backed Tamil Ealam Supporters' Organisation had called for a general strike on Tuesday to press India to vote in favour of a US-sponsored resolution against Sri Lanka at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) meeting in Geneva. DMK chief M Karunanidhi, who had revived TESO in 2012 floated by him in the 1980s, had called for peaceful protests.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Films You Need To Watch Before Tuning Into Oscars 2017
- Ironman Turns 'Ultraman': Milind Soman Races 517 kms Barefoot
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More