Thailand PM to be chief guest at R-Day parade
Yingluck Shinawatra, who became Thailand's first woman prime minister last July, will arrive in India on January 24.
Bangkok: Thailand's first woman Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will be the chief guest at India's Republic Day parade celebrations on January 26, Thai Trade Representative Nalinee Thaweesin said on Tuesday.
Yingluck, who became Thailand's first woman prime minister last July, will arrive in India on January 24 on a three-day official visit.
During her visit, Yingluck will hold talks on ways to increase trade and investment opportunities between the two countries, particularly in energy, petroleum and food industries.
Yingluck is the youngest sister of former premier and tycoon Thaksin Shinawatra.
Nalinee said Thailand viewed India as a major strategic economic partner because it was a big market with a population of more than 1.2 billion people.
Once the Asean economic community takes affect in 2015, Thailand could become a trade and investment gateway to the community for India, while India would be a distribution centre of Thai products to countries in the South Asia region, she added.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017: Why The Sudden Criticism For La La Land Is Disappointing
- WhatsApp Status Update: How to Use it And All You Need to Know
- Rangoon Movie Review: It's Overlong, Indulgent to the Point of Exhaustion
- Engineer Questions Nature of Pune Pitch, Slams Batsmen