Thane building collapse: Prosecution opposes accused's bail plea
Assistant Public Prosecutor Hemlata Deshmukh opposed the bail applications of Deepak Chavan and Shayam Thorbole.
Thane: The prosecution in the Thane building crash case on Tuesday opposed the bail pleas of two senior municipal officers arrested for the tragedy which claimed the lives of 74 people last month.
Suspended Deputy Municipal Commissioner Deepak Chavan and Assistant Municipal Commissioner Shayam Thorbole were among 22 persons arrested for the collapse of a seven-storey unauthorised building in Shil-Phata area.
Assistant Public Prosecutor Hemlata Deshmukh opposed the bail applications of Chavan and Thorbole. She produced in the court account books of two accused builders which contained entries of monies paid to Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) personnel, including top officials, for protection of the illegal building which collapsed on April 4.
Deshmukh, in her argument before Judge KR Warrier, opposed the applications and said this was a case of immense importance. The mistakes committed by the civic officials cannot be pardoned at all and they have no right to seek bail, she said.
"They knew that the building was totally illegal and hazardous and can come crashing down, claiming several lives. Taking illegal gratification cannot be pardoned at all as it is a serious matter," she told the court.
Deshmukh gave details of money allegedly paid to civic officials to turn a blind eye to the illegal building's construction. The argument will continue in the court.
- Ranbir Kapoor Feels the Youth is Living in Hard Times Right Now
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- PCB Refuses to Comment On BCCI President's statement on Indo-Pak Cricket Ties
- Pakistan Postpones SAARC Summit After Five Member Countries Pull Out
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- 1st ODI: Azam, Nawaz Star as Pakistan Thrash West Indies