Three detained in J Dey murder case let off
Anwar, Mateen Iqbal Hatela and Shaikh believed to be associated with gangster Chhota Shakeel.
Mumbai: Three persons who were detained in connection with the murder of senior journalist Jyotirmoy Dey here, have been let off, police said on Thursday.
Three suspects, Anwar, Mateen Iqbal Hatela and Shaikh believed to be associated with gangster Chhota Shakeel were picked for questioning on Wednesday to ascertain their possible role in Dey's killing.
However, they were let off late last night and will be called for questioning if required, a senior police official said on Thursday without divulging further details.
The trio was picked by the Powai police from Mumbra in adjoining Thane district and handed over to the Crime Branch, which is probing the case, police said.
Also, a car in possession of Anwar was seized. The vehicle was suspected to have been used in the June 11 murder in Powai. The three were believed to be working for fugitive gangster Shakeel, a key aide of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, and their antecedents were being verified, they said.
56-year-old Dey, Editor (Special Investigation), with Mid-Day, who extensively covered underworld and crime for over two decades, was shot dead in broad daylight by four motorbike-borne assailants last Saturday.
- Happy Birthday Lata Mangeshkar: Key Moments of Her Life You Might Not be Aware of
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Lata Mangeshkar Has A Special Message For Her Fans In Pakistan
- Lata Mangeshkar Requests Fans to Donate for Soldiers on Her Birthday
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Might Get Snapdragon 821, 2K Display and 4GB RAM
- A Flying Jatt Team to Pay Tribute to Bhagat Singh on Sadbhavana Diwas
- DU's 2nd Cut-off List Out, Considerable Drop In Marks In a Few Courses