Three priests commit self-immolation in Karnataka
The priests of Chouli Mutt allegedly set fire to a place where firewood was stored in the mutt complex and jumped into the fire.
Bidar (Karna): Upset over the mysterious death of their seer, three priests allegedly committed suicide by self-immolation inside a mutt complex in northern Karnataka on Monday, police said.
The priests of Chouli Mutt - Jagannath Swami (21), Sharanayya Swami (18) and V Reddy Swami (50) - allegedly set fire to a place where firewood was stored in the mutt complex and jumped into the fire, they said.
Fire brigade and police personnel recovered the charred bodies from the spot. Police said the trio had left a suicide note, which was being probed.
Chouli Mutt seer Ganeshananda Swami had died under mysterious circumstances in February, they said, adding that his three juniors were reportedly upset about it.
The mutt, which attracts followers from the Lingayat community, has been dogged by controversies over property related issues.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Premier League Champions Leicester City Sack Manager Claudio Ranieri
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology