Three priests commit self-immolation in Karnataka
The priests of Chouli Mutt allegedly set fire to a place where firewood was stored in the mutt complex and jumped into the fire.
Bidar (Karna): Upset over the mysterious death of their seer, three priests allegedly committed suicide by self-immolation inside a mutt complex in northern Karnataka on Monday, police said.
The priests of Chouli Mutt - Jagannath Swami (21), Sharanayya Swami (18) and V Reddy Swami (50) - allegedly set fire to a place where firewood was stored in the mutt complex and jumped into the fire, they said.
Fire brigade and police personnel recovered the charred bodies from the spot. Police said the trio had left a suicide note, which was being probed.
Chouli Mutt seer Ganeshananda Swami had died under mysterious circumstances in February, they said, adding that his three juniors were reportedly upset about it.
The mutt, which attracts followers from the Lingayat community, has been dogged by controversies over property related issues.
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Who Stands With Whom in Samajwadi Party Pariwar
- How Shivpal's Removal From Cabinet by Akhilesh Shocked the Mulayam Camp
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day