Timeline of Criminal Defamation Case Filed Against Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
A file picture of Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal during campaign mode. (Photo: Getty Images)
Delhi high court on Wednesday struck down Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal's plea to stay trial proceedings in a criminal defamation case filed against him and other AAP leaders by Union Minister Arun Jaitley saying "it is devoid of Merit".
Here is all you need to know about the defamation case filed by Union minister Arun Jaitley.
-Dec 16, 2015: Kejriwal targets FM Arun Jaitley claiming that the CBI raided his office to scrutinize a file relating to DDCA which Jaitley once headed — a charge rejected by the probe agency and the Centre.
-Dec 30, 2015: AAP leaders alleged they have “irrefutable” evidence that Jaitley tried to interfere in a Delhi Police probe into a case of corruption in the DDCA.
-Dec 21, 2015: Arun Jaitley filed a criminal defamation case against the Delhi CM and other AAP leaders.
-Feb 5, 2016: Kejriwal "does not possess either a reputation or character" in his own estimation, Jaitley said to court.
-March 9, 2016: Chief metropolitan magistrate Sumit Dass issued summons to the AAP leaders including Kejriwal, says AAP charges against Arun Jaitley insulting, taunting.
-April 7, 2016: Court grants bail to Kejriwal and other AAP leaders after they appeared before the court in pursuance of summons issued against him.
-July 12, 2016: Kejriwal and other AAP functionaries denied making any of the statements attributed to them.
-July 13, 2016: Arvind Kejriwal files a plea before the Delhi High Court, seeking a stay on one of the two cases.
-Oct 19, 2016: Delhi High Court refuses to put stay on the criminal defamation case filed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Succumbs to His Injuries in Jammu
- Akhilesh is Not Forming a New Party: Shivpal Yadav's Son
- US Will Not Hesitate to Act Alone to Destroy Terror Network in Pak: Szubin
- Digvijay Favours Dialogue With Pakistan, Insists Artists to Work in Cross Border Films
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Chief Justice of India Differs With Arun Jaitley on Courts Delaying Arbitration
- Let's See to What Extent Order is Carried Out by BCCI: Justice Lodha