TN: Britisher pins Indian flag on trouser at a R-Day function
Paul Fixer Dyke from a London school was seen sitting in the front row with the metal flag pinned to cover the torn area.
Tirunelveli: A visiting British teacher on Saturday caused a flutter when he pinned a miniature Indian national flag on his trouser to cover a torn portion in the leg area at the official Republic Day function here. Paul Fixer Dyke from a London school, on a visit to a private matriculation school under an exchange programme of education department, was seen sitting in the front row with the metal flag pinned to cover the torn area.
District Collector Samayamoorthy had asked officials to bring Dyke and his woman colleague Lora Clarke to the dais to honour them on learning about their presence at the function. As Dyke started moving, his pant got torn after coming into contact with a crowbar used for fastening the shamiana at the venue. He later fixed the torn pant by using the metal flag, which he was sporting on his shirt.
Though the Britisher waited in the front row to be honoured with a shawl, he later went off without accepting it, apparently after he came into focus with some shutterbugs taking snaps. An official said somebody should have advised him to remove the national flag from his leg but probably language problem prevented them from doing so.
Though the officials sought to play down the incident saying Dyke had only fixed the torn trouser and no motive should be attributed to it, some freedom fighters wondered if he would have the done the same thing to a British flag.
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Watch: MNS Asks Pakistani Artistes To Leave In 48 Hours or Face Consequences
- Watch: Talking Point With Zakka Jacob
- Glad Tutak Tutak Tutiya Being Compared With Bhool Bhulaiyaa: Prabhu Deva
- Prabhu Deva is the Sweetest Person in the Industry: Farah Khan