TN: Fishermen begin indefinite strike
They are demanding the release of the 13 fishermen who have been arrested by the Lankan Navy since Nov 28 last year.
Rameswaram: Mechanised boat fishermen began an indefinite strike in Rameswaram on Friday, demanding immediate release of 13 fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan naval personnel since November 28 last year.
A decision in this regard was taken at an emergency meeting of fishermen's associations which urged the Centre to take steps to release all the fishermen, B Seshuraja, District Secretary of Tamil nadu Coastal Mechanized Boats Fishermen Association and Emerit, leader of Rameswaram Fishermen Welfare Association told reporters.
They also urged both Sri Lanka and India not to arrest fishermen if they cross the International Maritime Boundary Line.
They alleged that the Centre was not taking any steps to protect the lives of fishermen "despite getting crores of rupees from the fishing industry" and said fishermen were afraid of putting out to sea due to frequent attacks by Sri
Lankan naval personnel.
While five fishermen were arrested by the Lankan Navy on November 28 and later imprisoned on drug smuggling charges, another four were held on January 3.
Yesterday four more fishermen were held, they said.
Recommended For You
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Wayne Rooney Ends China Rumours, to Stay at Manchester United
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Poorna Trailer: Rahul Bose Brings the Story of a Girl who Conquered Everest
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1