TN: Fishermen begin indefinite strike
They are demanding the release of the 13 fishermen who have been arrested by the Lankan Navy since Nov 28 last year.
Rameswaram: Mechanised boat fishermen began an indefinite strike in Rameswaram on Friday, demanding immediate release of 13 fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan naval personnel since November 28 last year.
A decision in this regard was taken at an emergency meeting of fishermen's associations which urged the Centre to take steps to release all the fishermen, B Seshuraja, District Secretary of Tamil nadu Coastal Mechanized Boats Fishermen Association and Emerit, leader of Rameswaram Fishermen Welfare Association told reporters.
They also urged both Sri Lanka and India not to arrest fishermen if they cross the International Maritime Boundary Line.
They alleged that the Centre was not taking any steps to protect the lives of fishermen "despite getting crores of rupees from the fishing industry" and said fishermen were afraid of putting out to sea due to frequent attacks by Sri
Lankan naval personnel.
While five fishermen were arrested by the Lankan Navy on November 28 and later imprisoned on drug smuggling charges, another four were held on January 3.
Yesterday four more fishermen were held, they said.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
- Bollywood Friday: Will Sushant Singh Rajput's MS Dhoni Live Up To The Expectations?
- MS Dhoni Biopic May be the Biggest Risk of Sushant Singh Rajput's Career
- Everybody Deserves to Know Dhoni's Inspiring Story: Bhumika Chawla
- Sushant Singh Rajput Talks about Dhoni, Bollywood In His First Selfie Interview
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18