TN: Girl pulled out from borewell after 14 hours, declared dead
The girl had fallen into the borewell, which was closed in a crude method after it failed to yield water.
Karur: A seven-year old girl, who fell into a newly dug deep borewell in a farm land in the district, was on Saturday night pulled out after over 14-hour long intense rescue efforts but doctors declared her dead at a hospital. Muthulakshmi, who fell into the improperly closed 900-feet borewell at Suryapalli village at around 7 am, remained stuck within a depth of about 18 feet and was pulled out by rescuers around 11 pm in an unconscious state, police said.
Daughter of farm labourers, the girl was immediately rushed to the Karur Government Hospital, about 50 km from the mishap spot, where doctors attempted in vain to revive her by administering oxygen, police said. Doctors later declared her dead, as the efforts ended on a tragic note.
The girl had fallen into the borewell, which was closed in a crude method after it failed to yield water. It was to be properly sealed on Saturday. The rescue operations by Fire and Rescue Service personnel and others which began at about 8 am using three earth moving equipment suffered delay due to rocky terrain.
A pit was dug adjacent to the borewell to reach the girl, stuck at a depth of about 18 feet where the diameter was around 12 inches. The girl was administered oxygen during the rescue operations and her murmurs were heard till 5 pm after which she fell silent. District Collector S Jayandhi and other top police and district officials oversaw the operations.
- Celebrities Send Diwali Greetings To Jawans Following PM Modi's #Sandesh2Soldiers Campaign
- Case Registered Against Man for Posting Objectionable Photo of PM Modi
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Aamir Wanted to Play Max in Josh but I Had SRK in Mind: Mansoor Khan
- AASU Threatens to Foil BJP's Move to Extend Citizenship to Minority Communities From Pak, Bangladesh